Safety• Oct 13, 2023

What to Do if Your Child Swallows a Foreign Object

A question we hear often is what to do if a child accidentally swallows a foreign object. While we’re on the subject, it’s important to talk about what causes the bulk ofchoking incidents:食物。一些主要的了enders include hot dogs, whole grapes, chunky peanut butter, and some nuts. Parents should take time to cut their children’s food into very small pieces until they are about four years old.

It’s important to monitor and take note if your child swallows a foreign object. One particular object to look out for is batteries. If you suspect your child may haveswallowed a battery, it’s essential to bring them into the emergency department as soon as possible. If you can do it quickly and without delay getting to the ER, give the child some honey on the way, which can help in this situation.

Another cause for concern is if your child has swallows magnets. If your child is young enough to accidentally swallow magnets, they should not be playing with them in the first place. However, if you do find yourself in this situation, this is also a scenario that warrants a trip to the emergency department. If your child swallows more than one magnet, they can actually attach to one another in their intestines and cause serious issues.

Other small objects your child may swallow, like tiny Lego pieces, generally pass through on their own without intervention. But if your child swallows anything they shouldn’t, it’s always best to call your pediatrician to get their advice.